One of Stella Mann College’s primary entrance requirements has always been to offer places based on an audition. If you are planning on attending one of our auditions for a place in the College, you’ll find the information on this page invaluable. Please read through it before your audition day, and GOOD LUCK!
THE AUDITION DAY
The audition lasts from 09.30am until approximately 5.00pm, depending on the number of applicants. For all applicants the day generally includes:
- Introduction to ‘Our Courses‘ and a question and answer session. Parents are welcome to join.
- There will be a ballet warm-up class, followed by two classes in contrasting dance styles, in which you will learn routines to be performed at the end of the day.
- Physical examination by qualified physiotherapist
- All candidates will present a dance solo and a song, but please do not worry if you are stronger in one skill than the other; we are looking for potential in all areas of performance.
- The dance solo should be no longer than 1 1/2 minutes, in your chosen style. Please bring your music on CD or preferably MP3 player/phone.
- The solo song can be from musical theatre or pop repertoire and should be no longer than 1 1/2 minutes. Please bring edited sheet music, in the correct key, or a backing track on CD or preferably MP3 player/phone.
All applicants are seen by an audition panel consisting of the Principal, Course Leader, and members of our team. Stella Mann College looks for potential and raw talent as well as prior training. Applicants are assessed according to the following criteria:
- Singing – pitch, range, clarity, technique and interpretation.
- Dance – good placement, co-ordination, physicality, energy and musicality.
- Performance and Artistry – confident performance and artistic interpretation of different styles and genre are assessed throughout the audition. The college is always interested in ‘performers’ who show flair and individuality.
AUDITION FOR STUDENTS WHO CANNOT ATTEND IN PERSON
Applicants who are unable to attend any of the audition dates in person may send video files via WeTransfer, or a link to a YouTube video, accompanied by a letter of recommendation from their dance teacher. The video should include the following:
- A 15-minute dance class in a jazz or ballet style, demonstrating plies, tendus to each side, pirouettes, jumps, a kick sequence, a travelling leap sequence.
- At the end of the class all candidates must demonstrate the following face the side:
- Facing the side –
- Lying on the back in frog position to demonstrate turnout, making sure that the hands are placed under the middle of the back to prevent arching of the spine
- 1st arabesque en l’air on both legs
- Seated port de bras forward over the legs to demonstrate mobility of the spine
- All candidates must then provide a solo song from Musical Theatre or Pop repertoire (time limit of 1 1/2 minutes) and a dance solo in the candidate’s chosen style (time limit of 1 1/2 minutes). Please do not worry if you are stronger in one skill than the other; we are looking for potential in all areas of performance.
Any applicant who cannot attend an audition in person but wants to be considered for one of the external qualifications may also be required to have an online interview and may be asked to submit examples of written work to assess suitability for these qualifications.
We will be holding auditions for September 2022 entry on the following dates:
Tuesday 14 December 2021
Monday 14 February 2022
Tuesday 15 February 2022
Wednesday 16 February 2022
Tuesday 5th April 2022
Should you wish to attend one of our audition dates, please complete an application form here.
If you cannot make either of these dates, but would like to audition contact email@example.com for private auditions.
Stella Mann College will do whatever it can to accommodate the access arrangements and support needed by any disabled candidate who is accepted onto the courses on offer. The College is fully accessible on the ground floor, and houses adapted facilities. There are several studios in the remainder of the building that are not accessible to wheelchair/scooter users or those with Mobility impairments.
Recruitment to HE courses
A student wishing to undertake the Degree course with the College must demonstrate that they will have satisfactorily completed appropriate Level 3 qualifications by the time they begin the course at Stella Mann College. As all courses within the College have a strong practical basis, ability and potential in dance, singing and acting will be the prime consideration for acceptance, although the College must be confident that the applicant will achieve suitable academic levels.
During the summer prior to beginning the course in September all new students receive an information pack and pay a registration fee. On the first day of term all first year students fill in an Enrolment Form and Learning Agreement in order to inform the College of any medical conditions, other conditions such as dyslexia and next of kin contact details.
Proof of Identity
If a student wishes to be entered for an external examination, such as Trinity College London Diplomas in Dance or Musical Theatre and BA (Hons) courses, the College takes proof of identity by verifying the student’s passport or driving licence.
Registration with External Bodies
The College complies with all requirements and deadlines for registration with external bodies, currently The University of Northampton and Trinity College London. The College communicates regularly with all its associated awarding bodies to ensure that all information is accurate and up to date. Whenever appropriate, the College will obtain Unique Learner Numbers for any student and communicate this with a relevant awarding body.